3.13.2007

Life in Russia...after 5 years

One night in Ivanovo, Russia, 6 weeks before the completion of our apprenticeship and our return to the states, I sat alone in a small cafe across the street from our apartment. Thoughts of the past 3 years ran through my mind. The shock and loneliness had faded, but I could not stop thinking about how I would survive another term in Russia, when I didn't even know how I was going to make it the next 6 weeks. I poured my heart out to God in my journal..."We have finished our term and are free of our commitment. Life in Russia is so much harder than in the states. I could be a better mom and the kids could have more (stuff) in the States."

I can't say that I have ever audibly heard God's voice, but that night in the cafe, God spoke to my heart and said "No you can't live in Russia in your own strength, but I will give you all you need and be with you." That night, I knew we would return to Russia.

We left 6 weeks later and had a wonderful time with our families (and going to Wal-Mart and Taco Bell). I invited my dad and Barbara to her us speak about our experience in Russia one Sunday evening at Church. Afterward, my dad hugged me and said, "I am so proud of you! I now understand why you went to Russia and I think you made the right decision."

All of my life I have longed for the approval of my dad. These words were such an answer to prayer! 2 weeks later, my dad had a stroke and lost a great deal of his ability to speak.

Life in Russia is an adventure. Life in Russia with 2 kids is never boring. I thank God for my life in Russia!

No comments: