4.19.2007

What a Tragedy!!!

On the way to school, Keith told me about the recent tragedy at Virginia Tech.

My totally selfish response was "Why did you tell me that?" I have gotten used to living in Russia where I am almost completely isolated from the news. I never watch the news (or read about it on the Internet...unless of course it is reported in a blog HE-HE!!!) The only television shows I watch are the selected, recorded series we get in the mail from Keith's sweet mom or the movies we purchase. I didn't know what to say, think, or do. I am still recovering from the terrible news that happened in the Amish community months ago!!!

I came across a remarkable blog, The Hutch. I have included the tremendous insights into this tragedy for you to read.

There, But By the Grace of God, Go All of Us
The seemingly senseless events of yesterday in Blacksburg are still being sorted out; will be for months to come, if past history is any indication. Reporters will interview victims' families, investigators will do their detective work, many will speculate on the shooter's history and motives, a few will develop conspiracy theories. "Blacksburg" will become another synonym for tragedy, another mile-marker on the road of human depravity. My heart is aching for the many people who are mourning a beloved family member or friend who died yesterday.

The shooter has been identified as an Asian young man, and at this time, little else is known about him. I know one thing for certain though: his actions demonstrate the black stain upon our human hearts. Sin. This young man desperately needed a Savior.

Why? There's the question for the ages. Why does God permit such things? Because a perfect world would not need saving. Because a world without sin would not need a Savior. C.S. Lewis said, "if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."

Blacksburg's tragedy is an illustration of fallen mankind at its worst. Yet, day by day, are we so much better?

...all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God... Romans 3:23

I fall short of the glory of God by miles. I talk about people, I lose my temper, I am prideful and even arrogant. I seek my own way and think of myself before others. I may not open fire in a classroom, I may not make the evening news with my sin, but it doesn't grieve God any less. I too am a sinner, in need of saving. Our need for salvation isn't measured on a yardstick; it's a giant chasm with all of humanity on one side and the glory of the Lord on the other. It doesn't matter how close or how far one stands; the chasm is there and we cannot get across.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ. Romans 6:23

Oh, how complacent we have become when we hold ourselves so far above Cho Seung-Hui. "I would never do such a thing...". Well, maybe not, but I submit to you that your sin and my sin is the result of the same black stain. The shooter in Blacksburg shows us how far our sin nature will go to get its own way. There, but by the Grace of God, go I.

How did the events at Blacksburg change your thinking? Are you becoming more numb to these things...do you change the channel so as not to listen to such depressing stuff...or, perhaps, did the news drive you to your knees in repentance? Have you thought, "what a nutcase, glad he's dead!" or, perhaps, did you grieve over this young man's despair and lost soul?

Lord, let your light shine upon us. Let Your mercy rain down upon us. Restore us, oh God of our salvation. Forgive us...cleanse us...give us eyes toward eternity.

No comments: