1.20.2008

TGIS...and Tomorrow is Monday!!!



When ME was born, I mistakenly thought 2 children with the same parents and therefore the same genes would be very much the SAME. I was so wrong!!! ME has "accomplished" so many things Gideon never even attempted...changing the color of the couch with her friend, Crayola crayon; redecorating her bedroom by removing wallpaper; climbing cabinets, book shelves and probably eventually even leaping buildings in a single bound!!! ME is very independent, today insisting on wearing a new (to her) skirt with her new dress and her frog rain boots, likes to have things her way (she cried all the way home that she wanted us to turn the car light on) and very loving...just when I think I can not make it one more minute, ME will say, "Mommy, I love you!"

Today, after 2 1/2 hours of Church, a late night out last night and a totally messy house, a family from Church invited themselves to our home for lunch! After I recovered from the shock of the fact that we were having guests, I began contemplating what we could feed them...of course, we ordered pizza and bought salads, cookies and drinks. They are a totally sweet family with 2 boys, 1 1/2 and 3. The eldest boy has been sick for over 2 months and even in and out of the hospital. The parents were so thankful for some adult conversation and a time to relax and the kids loved playing together. I was surprised as the afternoon ticked away, they did not seem ready to leave any time soon and the mess in our house grew...and grew.

There are a few things that neither of our kids do...eat in the bedrooms or play with outlets. I was shocked when I entered the kids bedroom to find every toy on the floor; where there were no toys, I found cookies...broken, crumbled and smashed in the carpet!!! At one point in the very long afternoon, I said, "Oh, Y is playing with the extension cord!" O, Y's mom, began a narrative on how much Y loves to play with outlets and I was on the edge of the couch waiting for Y to light up like a Christmas Tree! Only after finishing her story, did she go to remove Y from the cords. Let's just say...we finally said good-bye at 6 pm and I am so glad tomorrow is Monday...the kids return to school and I get 4 hours of Me Time!!!

UPDATE: I was ready for bed by 8 and the kids and I were fast asleep by 8:30!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your account reminds me that I was once told that loving people is rarely convenient.