5.26.2008

Memorial Day...A Day to Remember

Today was my first visit to a cemetery in a really long time and the first visit ever for my kiddos. Trying to explain death to little ones and why we would go visit someone who is “sleeping” is a challenge. I thought, having a picnic at the cemetery would be a fun idea and something my mom would have appreciated more than a bundle of fake flowers. Since we had already made lunch plans, I bought watermelon chunks this morning and our adventure began. Of course, the cemetery was packed…like rush hour in Moscow…and my bucket of watermelon, even though sounded delicious and a fun idea at the time, seemed a little foolish, as we drove past all of the colorful flower bouquets. I secretly prayed that my mom’s grave would not be the one and only head stone with nothing. I know my mom did not like fake flowers and would have loved a picnic, even if it was limited to chunks of melon, so why did I feel so bad? I was relieved when we arrived to find that someone had come and brought her flowers. The kids were not at all interested in helping me “remember” my mom or enjoying watermelon with me. Gideon returned to the car after refusing to take a picture with his sister to help me later remember our day. A few minutes later, I found myself alone with my watermelon and my mom. Mom, I will also remember you! I love you!!!

No comments: