3.19.2009

Keith's Thoughts on Waiting...

I have been learning a lot in recent months about waiting. Waiting is not something we would normally think of as a positive thing. Waiting is not something we usually want to be doing. I don’t like waiting for my wife to get ready for church. I don’t like waiting in line to get a license plate for a car. I don’t like waiting for the weather to change so I will stop sneezing. I don’t like waiting. In our culture, it is a negative to wait. But, what does God say about waiting? As I have been reading in the Psalms, these are some things I read about waiting:

May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You.
Wait for the Lord: be strong, and let your heart take courage: wait for the Lord!
Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord.
Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for Him.
But it is for you, O Lord, that I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.

God is not opposed to waiting. For some reason, He thinks it is good for me to wait. He is not in a hurry. He has His own schedule of how things need to work out, and thinks His schedule is a lot better than mine. I have been put in a place in life where I feel like I am constantly waiting, but I don’t really know exactly what I am supposed to be waiting for. I think it is more than just Gideon getting caught up in school, and more than me getting a job, that will pay the bills. All I can say is that I am waiting on the Lord. But, what does that mean? I don’t know what He is doing, or wants to do, or will do. I must only trust that He is in control. He knows what He is doing and is more than capable to do it. Also, I don’t think waiting implies that I am not moving or doing anything. No matter where I am or what situation I am in, I need to be doing certain things. I need to be growing in my relationship to Him. I need to be a part of His body (church) wherever that may be. And I need to be about helping others know Him. I can do that while I wait. I should anyway. So, I just wanted to throw that out there. It’s what has been on my heart and mind a lot lately. Blessings to all you other waiters out there.

No comments: