8.27.2009

To Pierce Or Not To Pierce?!?!

IMG_0230

A major topic of conversation with Emme lately has been “Can I get my ears pierced?” I initially said, “Getting your ears pierced really hurts! It feels like getting a shot…” thinking that voluntarily submitting herself to unnecessary pain would end the conversation, but it has not. She just says that she will be brave!

Neither Keith or I have strong feeling on this issue and had never really even thought about it. I think we have decided to use ear piercing to our advantage…we will require her to get every necessary vaccination first, reminding her every time that this is what getting your ears pierced will feel like and that she promised to be brave! After she is completely immunized with no whining or meltdowns, then she will deserve to get her ears pierced!!!

2 comments:

Rafi Rondon said...

I say, go for it!

Both my girls got their ears pierced before they were 1 month old. I guess this is normal in my culture. I remember that in PR when your girl was born, the nurse at the hospital would bring out a tray to your room with different style earrings you you could choose the ones you wanted. In TX however my wife had to find someone that would be willing to pierce a week old baby. LOL

Your farm friend said...

Having just done this with my 5 1/2 year old - I say wait. Wait wait wait! Wait until she is old enough to clean her own ears 3x a day. I regretted my decision 3x a day for 8 weeks! It's probably our fault that ME wants her ears pierced! Sorry! But wait! Maybe for her 5th birthday? or Twelvth!