7.30.2010

Our Playground…

IMG_6456

Today, Emme had her first experience with Culture Shock.  Emme loves people, is very outgoing and can become BFF with a total stranger in about 5 seconds.  Sooo, she marched onto the playground, spotted a new potential friend and went to work.  “My name is Emme.  Let’s play!”  Of course she spoke in English and assumed that the little girl did too.  The girl just looked at her as if she just arrived from Mars, turned and walked away.  Emme was devastated.  On a return trip, another little girl initiated contact with Emme and Emme just shrugged and said, “I don’t want to play.  I don’t speak Russian.”

IMG_6458 IMG_6479 IMG_6460 IMG_6480 IMG_6466 

I know that Culture Shock is a part of adjusting to a new environment, but my heart broke nonetheless!

IMG_6487

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful playground! So sad about Emme's rejection, but I don't think it will take her long to figure out this culture....Praying for you as you adjust to your new life. With love, Anne

Jill Willeke said...

Love your playground! Praying for you guys as you adjust. Good to chat with you yesterday. Hugs to the kiddos for me.

Cutlerama said...

Wow, can't believe you're back overseas, God is so good! We're praying for you guys!

The Herd said...

Hey, I think they repainted that!!! Looks like you guys are settling right in! I love looking at your blog, especially now!

The Herd said...

haha, after looking closer, they didn't repaint...saw the graffiti!!! Need to put my contacts on!! Great pics anyway!