3.23.2011

A Cute-Little Life…

We returned to Russia after two years of waiting, wandering, searching and struggling.  We were sooo excited when the door opened for our return and felt so confident as we saw God prepare the way…an 8 month medical clearance was completed in six short weeks; visas that were delayed, required additional documents, then blood tests postponed our arrival by only one day; hundreds of dollars of excess baggage only cost us $4. 

We settled into our new home quickly, adjusted to the new time zone and everyone began their new lives.  The kid’s journey included a great Christian school with new teachers and new friends.  Keith began traveling, meeting, mentoring, studying, teaching, preaching.  I, for the first time in 9 years, had 6 hours of peace and quiet 5 days a week.  It was glorious at first…getting to grocery shop, exercise, have lunch with no one fighting, arguing, whining or complaining.  As the days got darker, the weather turned colder and the snow piles grew, I became more withdrawn, overcome with emotion and began to waste my precious free time with worry, self-pity and mindless forms of entertainment.

I began to question why we were here?  I longed (and still often do) for a cute-little house with a cute-little yard, in a cute-little town where the kids could go to a cute-little school.  We would attend a cute-little Church that would go on wonderful mission trips…so I could take cute-little gifts to the extremely selfless, holy, sacrificing missionaries and return to my cute-little life. 

Today, after cleaning the kitchen, making the beds, picking up the toys, doing the laundry and dishes, I sat down to pour my heart out to God…who I prayed had not forgotten me or gave up on ever hearing from me….I got up again to search for my favorite pen, then again to turn on my favorite new worship CD and then once more to get some more coffee.  I got out my new Bible Study (both the music and Bible Study were cute-little gifts from the great ladies from Little Rock) and prayed that I would hear from God.

He is so faithful!!!  Kelly Minter’s Ruth begins with Two Journeys-Fleeing Home and the first question was whether to chose to remain in the arid land of God’s choosing or flee to the bountiful one (the land of cute-little houses, Starbucks and Sonic) that God had roped off?

She reminded me…

Don’t get tired of doing what is good.  Don’t get discouraged and give up for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.  Galatians 6:9

In Hebrews 11, Moses refused the temporary pleasures of sin and special treatment of being the son of Pharaoh's daughter and chose to share in the oppression of God’s people.  He thought it was better to suffer for the sake of the Messiah, than to own the treasures of Egypt.  He was looking ahead to the great reward that God would give him.

It is our wisdom to make the best of that which is, for it is seldom that changing our place is mending it. ~Matthew Henry

She concluded by saying, “God is present right where you are.  Stay put and stand firm.  It is always more blessed to be under the care of His will than anywhere else-no matter how green the grass.” 

I guess Sonic will have to wait!!! Smile 

Please do not misunderstand me…we really are not oppressed or really even suffer in Saint Petersburg…unless you consider life without Sonic suffering.  I know that God’s plan for each person is very unique and does not always include packing your bags and heading to Russia!  I am also very grateful for each person that He does call to join us on mission here or anywhere for any length of time!  My point is only that I must accept my life in Saint Petersburg as His plan for my life and find joy in being obedient!

3 comments:

The Herd said...

So, understand this post! We are here in America...and living with relatives...still not in my own "cute" little place...but know and understand your desires and hopes...especially when in russia! So glad your devotional was so on-line with what you needed! Just think...Sonic is just so much better when you only experience it once and awhile!

Angel said...

Thanks for your honesty in this post, Kristie. I'm so glad you heard so sweetly and clearly from Jesus. Praying for you and your family as you live the life He's asked you to live!

Anonymous said...

Went to Sonic this week....it does NOT compare favorably with being in the center of God's will. So glad you are doing the Ruth study and hearing God's voice. It gets better and better. Praying that St. Petersburg becomes your cute little life! Love, Anne