8.14.2013

Last Summer Adventure Begins!

Yesterday, we {minus Keith} kicked off our final summer adventure! We flew to Moscow with the mission of eating at every American restaurant not in St Pete! 

Traffic is usually crazy, but add in construction, a closed lane into the Airport and one luggage X-ray positioned at the entrance of the Airport and it is a nightmare! The blessing to being late is there are no lines at the ticket counter and no wait boarding the plane!

I did NO research on how to transfer from the Airport to the Metro. There were loads of options...so I asked! I like asking...meeting people...connecting. When, however, will I learn that asking, especially in a foreign country with a foreign accent, is not always the wisest choice?!? 

The employee told me the quickest and most comfortable option was the train, but it would be a 30 minute wait. He, however, knew a taxi driver that would taking me for 1000 rubles. I agreed, confirmed with the driver and began our journey. As we exited the Airport, the driver said the total would be 4000 rubles. 

This was not what we agreed on and there was no way I was going to pay $130 for a taxi! I argued. He yelled. I asked him to stop the car and let us out. He said that there was no way I would make it to the city from there. Just watch me! He threatened to call the police and I agreed that was a great idea, because I would like to inform the police of his dishonesty.

The kids and I got our bags and flagged another car within a minute. A totally sweet grandpa with bad vision...no clue of the location of our final destination...in a car that was older than he was...with a taped on steering wheel {literally}...pulled out his folded up paper map and said of course he would help us.

He stopped numerous times to check his map, asked me to read the signs for him and would not let us out of the car until he knew we were at the right location, safe with our friend. I paid him 1000 rubles and gave him the only thing edible treat in my bag. He was such a sweet blessing!

We are now relaxing with our friends, plotting our Food Fest destinations! Life is an adventure!

No comments: