3.31.2008

A Call to Pray!

CRISIS #458: Today, I was having tea with my friend L and could tell she was struggling. Her husband is very abusive, their financial situation is terrible (and magnified due to her husband's lack of work for over 5 months) and happiness is a rarity. In tears, she shared the latest atrocities and her feeling of hopelessness. When she left, I called Amnesty International in Moscow. The employee advised that she call the police. I informed him that she had, her husband told the police, "Yes, I beat my wife. What are you going to do about it?!?" The police replied, "You know you should not do that." No arrest was made. Then, I was told that she (L, who lives in fear of her husband) could insist that he be arrested. I informed him that was very unlikely and asked if there was any other options or advice he could give me? He said that they could provide me with the name of a Psychologist to teach her how to behave and how to deal with them.

Domestic Violence in Russia (and through out the World) is a serious problem. 34,000 women A DAY are beaten. 1 woman every 40 minutes is KILLED!!! There is currently only 1 shelter in the Moscow region and 3 in all of Russia that serve 18 people each. However, only those who are properly registered in that area can receive their assistance. And lats just say getting properly registered in Russia is a whole different saga!!!

I am afraid for L and her daughter, D. Please join me in praying for this family and that God would protect L and D, strengthen them, fill them with wisdom, peace and joy and put an end to the abuse.

I am sharing L's story with her permission and encouragement in the hopes that you will pray for her and that God would move and change her situation.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Praying for your friend...