6.01.2009

The Last Day Of School & The First Day of Summer From The Perspective Of An Overly~Protective, Drama~Queen!


Today was suppose to be fun. It is the last day of Kindergarten for Gid and we survived!!! We not only survived, but Gid thrived!!! He so far passed my expectations, as well as the expectations of many others!!! Sooo, I really wanted this day to be a fun, stress-free, fabulous last day of school!!!

I also want (I guess I want a lot of things!!!) Gid and Emme to feel confident in the pool this summer. Sooo, I enrolled them in swimming lessons...which began this morning. Keith (It is all his fault!!!) suggested that Gid go late to school, so that he would not miss the first day of swimming lessons.

So this morning the kids dressed in their suits and we headed to the gym at 8:40...shockingly, not running late...for our 9:00 lessons. When we arrive, we discover that the lessons don't actually begin until 9:45...this is only a minor alteration in our plans and we all hung out with friends in the Teen Center...even though none of us are actually teens!!!

I spent the extra 45 minutes re-evaluating our schedule for the next 2 weeks analyzing how this 45 minute addition will effect our plans and how I could possibly squeeze in a work-out!

It was finally time to head to the pool. Emme meets her teacher and fellow-future-swimmers and off she goes. She smiles, giggles and chats with her new BFFs and has a blast!

Gid, reluctantly joins his class, but never lets go of the death grip he has on my hand and pulls me along. He asks me a million questions, while he waits for his teacher's instructions...he was so nervous, he was feasting on his poor finger nails. I tried to comfort him, reassure him and tell him how great he would do. But fear fills his face, as I shake my hand lose and the teacher tells the class to "Jump in the water!"...where they could not even touch!!!

The class gets in and starts bobbing as instructed...while Gid slides into the pools (which was a huge accomplishment!!!), but bursts into tears (AND HIVES!!!). I quickly rescue him (BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT MOTHERS DO!!!), wrapped him in a towel and promised him that he never has to get wet again...no swimming, no bathing, no water ever!!! OK, not really...even though I wanted to!!! I said that he could just watch for today and try again tomorrow...I am already dreading tomorrow!!! What will we do tomorrow, besides pray the Lord returns tonight???

I am drowning my sorrows in totally addictive jello salad, while researching how I could teach Gideon to swim without ever getting into the water and re-evaluating my summer plans of lounging by the pool every day, while the kids have a blast swimming!!!

1 comment:

Brienna said...

Move him down to the very beginning level. He is not ready for bobbing! Practice in the bathtub first with just blowing bubbles and then with his face and blowing bubbles. Then see if he will get the back of his head wet as his face goes in first. Then see if he can touch his nose to the bottom of the bathtub. Jaden didn't pass his first year of swimming lessons and neither did my brother. It takes time but once he gets it he will progress quickly. Ask the teacher if goggles are allowed and spend the money for a good pair of kids speedos.(target) Some kids don't like water in their eyes. Call me for more info.
Ex-swimming lesson instructor and your friend